Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Update

Right after my last post we had our first confirmed case of Covid 19 in Alaska.  I almost updated my last post but decided to wait and post a new one.  Now we have 3 confirmed cases here in Fairbanks, 1 in Anchorage, and 1 in Ketchican (5 total in Alaska).  I have cancelled my appointment to see my Rheumatologist in Anchorage and I'm going to just stay in my house.  They are closing places anyway so there isn't really anywhere to go.

Yesterday I went to the imaging center connected to the hospital to get my blood work done.  My husband thought it would be safer for me to go there since they are screening anyone who comes in.  No one is allowed to go in without an appointment or order for the lab and I'm not sure what they do if someone is sick but I was assured no one sick was there.  Some of the staff were wearing masks as a precaution.  I told them I take immuno-suppressant drugs and they got me in there after screening me and people were kept spaced out.  I felt so relieved seeing all the precautions they were taking.  By going there I was able to use the direct door to that area instead of walking through the hospital and there was hand sanitizer and wipes right there when you get in the door.  I am so glad to get that over and done with and hopefully my Rheumatologist will refill any drugs needed without seeing me now that he has the blood work.  

I did sneak into Michaels real quick to grab some yarn for some new projects and now I am not going to leave my house for a while.  My husband and 2 sons (adults) do have to work though so we have a place set up with hand sanitizer and lysol wipes by the door.  My husband works at the hospital in IT and my 2 sons both work at Fred Meyer (large chain grocery store plus other stuff similar to walmart super stores) so I really hope they don't get it and bring it home.  

It is so strange how everything is closing and everyone is so scared.  Our whole world is changing so fast.  We realized our bed was broken last night and we needed to get a new one.  We looked at the websites of a couple local stores and picked one out.  Today I called and talked to someone at Sadlers in Fairbanks.  Ashley was very kind and super helpful and I was able to order a bed and pay over the phone.  Ashley was very knowledgeable about the bed and was able to answer every question I had about it.  I didn't even need to go in but she said they actually do have it on the floor if I wanted to (even though the website doesn't show it as one available or displayed at he Fairbanks store.  In just one week they will deliver it AND put it together for us.  I'm extremely happy about that.  Thank you Sadlers and ASHLEY!  

So now I am going to attempt to relax and work on something and that is not going to be easy to do.  I ordered a new circular knitting needle to make something I have made once before.  I used 4 balls of cotton yarn (4 strands held together) to knit a rug for my bathroom.  I love that rug and how easy it is to wash.  Now I need a new rug for my kitchen and I'm going to make one in sage green to match my kitchen colors.  I used a pattern where they used fabric strips to knit the rug and I did make one but it was huge.  I really didn't like it that much either.  I really love the rug I made with cotton yarn.  

I have also been crocheting doilies.  That is really odd for me since I never like to make things that are just decorative.  Usually, if something isn't practical I lose interest in making it and usually don't finish.  Now though, I really feel like making things with thread.  I have some size 10 cotton thread and I've been using that AND enjoying it a lot even though I have to wear reading glasses all the time to see what I'm doing.  

Imbued Starweave
This is one that I made recently.  This pattern is called Imbued Starweave by Julia Hart.  It would have been bigger but I didn't have the right size thread.  I used size 10 cotton thread so mine is only around 7" across.  When I saw the picture of the pattern I saw thistle blooms so I decided to use 2 colors and I love how it turned out.  

I made another doily for my sister for her birthday this month and looked for one with the pineapple stitch because I know she likes that.  This one is Starfish Pineapple Doily and while the website the pattern was on is gone now the pattern can be found on the wayback machine website (click the linked title).  I couldn't find the right size hook when I made that one so I ended up using a bigger hook (by several sizes) so it would look a lot different with the right hook.
Starfish Pineapple Doily






The latest doily I made was more difficult because I couldn't find a pattern.  I fell in love with the picture but the pattern is in a German magazine and I couldn't figure out how to buy a copy.  I would still love to find a copy (of the whole magazine) so if anyone knows how I could get one, please let me know.  Anyway, I stared at the picture a really long time, with reading glasses.  I tried enlarging it but the quality is poor.  I ended up deciding it was probably all made of triple crochet stitches with a few single crochet here and there and chains.  After a lot of trial and error I ended up with this.  No disrespect to the designer and I would happily buy the pattern if there is some way to do so.  


Okay so now I need to think about my next project and also start a new book.  These are the things that will keep my mind off of the negative news.  I hope everyone can find a way to relax and hopefully enjoy some time at home.  

~Donna J

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments (except spam of course). Leave me a note! I'd love to hear from you. Sorry that I had to add word verification. I am getting a lot of spam comments.