Saturday, January 24, 2015

Travelling Rubbermaid Style

My husband and I flew to Anchorage so I could see a Rheumatologist there.  Hopefully, that doctor can figure something out that will help me.  They took blood and did some x-rays and now I just have to wait.  I did have some fun while we were there.  My husband and I went to some good restaurants and did a little shopping.  I definitely got some exercise from walking around.

Anchorage is so different than Fairbanks.  There are way more people and at 5 pm the main roads were packed.  We rented this little tiny car that I think was made my Rubbermaid.  It was so small and didn't even have a trunk.  It just had a little cubby hole behind the back seat to stick your stuff.  I am pretty sure it had a handle on each end for easy stacking too.

We hadn't been there long when it started snowing and blowing freezing wind that froze my fingers. I was so glad to get inside.  The next day it wasn't so bad but the roads were very icy.  Our little car would tell us when we were sliding around and my husband found that very amusing.

I was such a space cadet that I forgot to pack the clothes for the next day.  We stopped at a mall but I guess I am getting old because I just couldn't see myself in any of that stuff.  What is it with these places that have see through t-shirts for $35?  And no, I don't want to show my belly button.  It just isn't as cute anymore.  I finally found a shop that had some things and got some clothes.  I also forgot to pack my makeup bag so I ended up with only the liquid stuff that was in the ziplock bag.

We did have fun though and it was great to spend some time with my husband.  I'm so lucky to have such a great guy around.  After seeing the doctor who poked and moved all of my painful areas I was cranky but he still put up with me.  On the plane, where we were packed up tight like sardines, he was patient with me when I needed to take some medicine two different times.  He had to unfold both legs to get the bag out from under the seat.  It would have been easier to take your legs off and store them in the overhead bin.  I really didn't like the flight back home because even with the flying snow we had to walk outside to get into the plane.  I wasn't expecting that.  Then I was so uncomfortable since I had just been poked several times at the lab where they had a hard time getting my blood.  The veins kept blowing so they were sore.  I had coban wrapped around both hands and elbows and the backs of my hands were really sore.  I was having trouble with my restless legs even after taking the medicine and I was getting claustrophobic. Usually, I do okay if I sit by the window but it was dark. I'm glad my husband was there because I was on the edge of flipping out.  Just knowing he is right there helps me to stay calm.

The best part of the trip was getting a new puzzle book and several crossword puzzles from magazines and the newspaper.  So I'm going to be busy for a long while.   I just hope that doctor is also good with puzzles.


  1. Did the doctor figure anything out for you?

    1. Well, I am trying a new medication that is used to treat Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis and actually malaria. I am sure I don't have malaria so he must think I have one of the other two things. My lab work showed a lot of inflammation and this medicine helps that. Only problem is it makes me feel really drugged and I was sleeping a crazy long time. I called him a few weeks ago and asked if I could cut the dose in half. So I did that a couple weeks ago. It takes about 4 weeks for it to get into your system or to see the change so I'm still sleeping a lot. I go back to see that doctor sometime in the first few weeks of May. So I'll see what he says then. He seems like a good doctor so I am hopeful.


I love comments (except spam of course). Leave me a note! I'd love to hear from you. Sorry that I had to add word verification. I am getting a lot of spam comments.